The history of Dnepropetrovsk Medical Academy is closely connected with the history of our city – a large industrial, scientific and cultural center of the state.
On October 4, 1784, Empress Catherine II signed a decree of Senate, in which she ordered to establish a university with a higher medical school in the province of Katerynoslav. It took 132 years after the publication of this document to open a higher medical school. In 1899, the Higher Mining School was opened and on September 15, 1916, the Higher Women’s Courses were created with it, which was reported in the newspaper “Russkoe Delo” and in the Ekaterinoslav Zemsky Gazette. On the same day, at the meeting of the clergy, archpriest O.D. Strachnovsky served a prayer service. Courses had two departments – physical, mathematical and medical. The first director of the Ekaterinoslav High Women’s Course was the rector of the mining institute, professor MI Lebedev, dean of the medical department – professor Y.M. Dolzhansky The course organizers faced considerable financial difficulties because the government did not provide any funding. The funds of the founding committee consisted of membership fees, donations, tuition fees. Much help was provided by the wealthy merchant MS. Kopylov, to whom, on the advice of Professor DI Yavornytsky, the Society for the Promotion of Higher Female Education, which was in charge of the Highest Women’s Courses, addressed the question. From the first years of the establishment of the institution, the efforts of its leaders were aimed at creating not only the material base but also scientific schools, personnel search, the development of curricula and programs, textbooks and manuals.
In 1918, the Higher Women’s Courses became part of the Katerynoslav University, the statute of which was developed and approved by the Commission under the chairmanship of the outstanding scientist, academician VI Vernadsky. In connection with the reform of higher education in Ukraine, the medical faculty of the university became an independent university and received the title of Ekaterinoslav Medical Academy. The first rector appointed an outstanding scientist-histologist, professor VPKarpov. He attracted to the academy experienced scientific and pedagogical staff, markedly strengthened the material base (Oleksiivsky hospital was purchased, construction of the morphological corps was started), the textbook “Initial course of histology” was published. In honor of the memory of the first rector in honor of the 125th anniversary of his birth, a scientific conference “Karpovskie Readings” and a medal of VPKarpov for the best research work on theoretical disciplines was founded.
In 1925, the first graduation of 248 doctors took place. The establishment of clinical bases began. The first clinics were located in the buildings of the Zemsky Provincial Hospital and the Red Cross Hospital. The maternity hospital was formed on the basis of the Alekseyevska Zemsky hospital. These years were not easy, but even then, under difficult conditions, professors M.O. Kabanov, OI Talyantsev, IV Troitsky, AF Drzhevetsky, Ya.I. Halpern, MS Cahiani, AM Kavetsky, SM Kompaniets, FG Tsomakion, and others laid the foundation for the further development of the Academy, scientific directions, the creation of a unified medical society, the publication of the magazines “Katerynoslav Medical Journal”, “New Surgical Archive”. During these years, scientific schools were actively formed: the famous surgeon, Professor O.O. Abrazhanova, who created a new direction in skin and plastic surgery, a talented pedagogue and clinician pediatrician, professor MFRudneva, whose name is called the 3rd City Clinical Hospital, the epidemiologist eminent academician LV Gromashevsky, who founded the Department of Epidemiology.
n 1926, a new curriculum was introduced, which increased the number of hours of practical training. Since 1931, the institute began publishing the newspaper “For Socialist Medical Personnel”.
In the 1930s, the issue of state sanitary supervision in all sectors of the national economy was particularly acute, which led to the establishment in 1931 of the sanitary-and-hygienic faculty. It was initiated by well-known scientists MB Stanishevskaya, LM Horowitz-Vlasov, IL Strum, SSKagan, MV Donich.
In 1937 the pediatric faculty was opened.
During the period from 1935 to 1941, 27 doctoral and 158 candidate’s theses were defended at the institute. In 1941, 644 doctors were released. The Great Patriotic War interrupted peaceful activity but revealed devotion and patriotism to a large number of teachers and pupils. In August 1941, the Institute was evacuated to Stavropol, where second pre-release graduation of doctors took place. The evacuation of the institute continued to Makhachkala, and then to Tashkent and Fergana. The work of the institute was rebuilt in accordance with the task of the military – preparing doctors for the front. In the conditions of evacuation (1941-1944), more than 1000 doctors passed special training. Many employees, graduates, students selflessly fought at the front, in partisan detachments, antifascist underground, worked in the rear.
During 1956-1962 pp. Pharmaceutical faculty started to work. In 1959 the evening department of Medical faculty was opened. In 1963 Dental faculty was established. On the basis of the large clinics of Dnipropetrovsk and Kryviy Rih in 1973, Faculty of Physicians’ Improvement was organized.
The years passed, the forms and method of work were improved, the material base of the institute was enriched, its scientific potential grew. More than 40 thousand graduates of the institution received diplomas of doctors. Among them are health ministers of Ukraine A.Yu.Romanenko, AM Serdyuk, B.O. Bobrov, Minister of Social Security of Ukraine O. M. Lukyanenko; NII directors are Academician of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine V.V.Smirnov, Corresponding Member of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine V.O. Bobrov, Yu.O. Filippov, V.M. Kovalenko, VP Topka, M.G.Karnauh; Heroes of Socialist Labor MG Zhelyaeva, C.I. Borisenko, S.O. Gustylin, G.A. Andrienko, GK Komeko, Ye.A. Grechanov; First People’s Doctor of Ukraine VN Vasilenko and others. More than 100 staff members of the Institute provided assistance in the development of health care and higher medical education in Asia, Africa, South America, the Near and Middle East.
The period of the rectorate of Professor II Krizhanivska (1964-1981) marked a significant strengthening of the material base of the university and became a significant impetus for the renewal of all directions of the university’s activities. In September 1966 the Institution was awarded Order of Red Banner of Labor by the Decree of Presidium of Supreme Soviet of the USSR for its achievements in the development of medical science, training of personnel and on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of its founding.
After the restoration of the educational and medical bases of the academy, the spectrum of specialties has increased considerably, the qualitative composition of teachers has increased, the department of dentistry has been organized, new seats have been opened, and a central research laboratory has been set up. In 1974 a preparatory department was opened.
Under the guidance of the rector, Corresponding Member of the Academy of Sciences and the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine Professor AV. Novitskaya-Usenko (1981-1996), Faculty of foreign students was established on the basis of the institution, a medical lyceum was opened, a laboratory of psychophysiological testing was organized, and educational and clinical bases expanded significantly. In 1992, the work of specialized academic councils began.
April 20, 1994 Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine No. 244 of the Institute returned the status of the Academy. In the same year, the department of international relations was established, and in 1995 the first graduation of specialists – foreign citizens – was held. The Academy joined the European Association of International Education. The main scientific directions of the Academy during this period are the study and application of non-hemoglobin carriers of oxygen; the program “Salt Lyman” combining the efforts of 9 departments of the academy; rehabilitation of patients with ischemic heart disease and rheumatism; remote destruction of stones in kidneys and bladder; endo-prosthetics of large and small joints; development of new drugs of bacterial origin; computer support of scientific research and educational process; development and introduction of new methods of diagnostics; monitoring of the environment; fundamental morphological, neurophysiological, biochemical studies.
During the ’80s and 90’s the strategic task of humanizing education in the development of independent Ukraine was the upbringing of a spiritual person, adequate to the demands of the new century. The program of continuing humanitarian education in the academy is closely linked to vocational training and covers all courses. All conditions for the spiritual perfection of students and their harmonious development are created in the academy. An integral part of the only guided educational process is the students’ creative work: philosophical theater, student club, evenings of Ukrainian national traditions. They united 25 creative groups, three of which have the rank of folk. The Foundation for Support and Search for Talented Youth, Fund for Social Protection, the Foundation for Spiritual Revival, the Association of Medical Students, the Council for Young Scientists, and the Student Scientific Society worked actively.
In 1996, the academy was headed by academician G.V. Jazz At that time, 6 faculties (three medical, dental, foreign students, postgraduate education) were employed in the Academy’s structure, in which more than 4,300 students and doctoral students were studying. The Academy has 8 educational buildings with a total area of 52,000 square meters, which has 608 classrooms, offices, and laboratories. At the disposal of students and staff – a modern scientific library, a certified central research laboratory, a developed sports complex. Among the teachers: academician of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine, three correspondent members of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine, Corresponding Member of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 4 employees were awarded the awards of the President of Ukraine, 5 honored workers of higher education and public education, 11 honored scientists and technicians, 10 laureates of the State Prize of Ukraine and Russian Federation, 6 honored doctors, 25 full members and correspondent members of many national and foreign academies, participants of international scientific societies and associations. In 2001, the problem laboratory “New Information Technologies in Medicine” was created on the basis of the Dnipro State Medical University.
The Academy has become one of the first institutions in Ukraine where “Krok” test exams are implemented, as well as a single practical-oriented graduation exam. Interns and clinical interns are trained at 22 departments in 39 directions, besides Ukrainian citizens, more than 60 foreign citizens study in clinical residency. The Academy has trained about 1,000 foreign specialists for international organizations, participates in domestic and international educational exhibitions, and consolidates partnerships with education and science institutions in the countries of Europe, Asia and the North USA, France, Japan, Denmark, Germany, Spain, Holland, and other countries, exchange training for interns and students in medical institutions in the United States, France, Spain, Holland and other countries, enriching the educational process, bringing it closer to international standards. , as the civilization of the XXI century demands it. In the institution new scientific developments devoted to the diagnosis and treatment of hypertension depending on left ventricular hypertrophy and myocardial remodeling, prophylactics perinatal outcomes and methods for reproductive health, development of new designs of national joint implant adaptation and rehabilitation of child health industrial region imunomorfolohiyi tumor diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of AIDS. The Academy publishes scientific medical journals – “Medical perspectives”, “Urology”, “Dermatovenereology, cosmetology, sexopathology”, “Morphology.” Various national and international scientific forums are regularly held on the basis of the academy.
The institution is fruitfully working to increase the prestige of higher medical education in Ukraine and increase its international authority, significantly affects the formation of spiritual values and the outlook of their graduates.